Sullivan Audition Judges
are distinguished artists
and professionals, including,
among many others
- Susanne Mentzer
- Charles MacKay
- Anthony Fogg
- Christine Brewer
- Craig Rutenberg
- Richard Gaddes
- John Moriarty
- George Shirley
- Evans Mirageas
- Bruce Donnell
- Erie Mills
- Marietta Simpson
How to Apply
The Foundation seeks exceptionally talented young singers who are still taking early steps, but in the judgment of the screening panel show promise for significant careers.
2019 SULLIVAN FOUNDATION AUDITIONS will be held in New York City on November 10 and 11. Several winners will receive SULLIVAN AWARDS ($10,000 in 2018), which may be used for any career-related expenses. Winners then receive additional ROLE PREPARATION GRANTS for the next five years, to support musical, dramatic, vocal and language preparation for engagements for new roles, or for existing roles in new languages. 2019 applications are due on September 10. See below for requirements and a link to the online application
- Applicants must have completed their academic training.
- They should have sung at least one engagement with a known opera company, orchestra, or other organization using full orchestral accompaniment.
- They must submit a copy of a contract or letter of intent for an upcoming professional (paid) engagement with full orchestra (not a cover) that opens after the auditions.
- Singers coming to the end of full-year Young Artist Programs may be chosen to audition for Sullivan awards; if they are winners, their eligibility for Role Preparation Grants can be deferred until they have graduated from those programs.
Applications must include the following:
- A one-page chronological resume (additional pages will be discarded)
- A photo
- A copy of a contract or letter of intent for an upcoming professional (paid) engagement with full orchestra that opens after the auditions. We cannot accept cover contracts.
- A letter of endorsement, which will be kept confidential, written specifically in regard to this Sullivan application by a music professional (not a current or former teacher, coach or manager) who is well acquainted with the singer’s qualifications and - ideally - has engaged him or her as a performer. (Please note that endorsers will receive a link to upload a confidential letter only after the online application is submitted.)
- Singers must submit video of two arias in contrasting styles and languages performed with piano accompaniment and recorded within twelve months of the application deadline. Recordings should be made with one fixed camera and without acoustical enhancement or amplification. Each selection should be filmed in a single take. Videos should show the singer in full view from the audience’s perspective, and the singer’s face should be completely visible. The name of the singer and the title of each aria must be included in the video.